Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tried new stitches


Working on my CQ Encrusted Class I have tried some new stitches/motifs.

I don't mind stitching seam treatments "free hand", but I have a hard time getting the outlines to embroider motifs, flowers, butterflies, images, etc onto my fabric. I have tried using "Solvey", tracing/chalk paper, and iron on transfer pencil. "Solvey" has worked the best, but even using pernanent sharpie to draw on the "Solvey" I've had it bleed on to my project when put water on it to disolve it. Tracing/chalk paper the image brushes off before I finish stitching and the iron on transfer pencil didn't work at all.

I really wanted to try to embroider some of the flower motifs from Teach Yourself to Embroider book. So I tried a technique that Shawkl had mentioned, "tissue paper"!! Yes, it worked like a charm!!! I traced the image onto white tissue paper, actually leftover tissue paper from Christmas. Pinned it in place on my block and started stitching.

CQEncrusted Class block so far. I am going to start adding beads/buttons etc. next. I think it needs a little more stitching, but I need to add some beads/buttons to be sure, may be a few days before I get to it. I need to get going on my COF projects, I do have an idea for my FQ Challenge fabric.

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

Kathi said...

Jody, I love that flower! Is that a pattern from your encrusted class?

JodyC said...

Thank you Kathi. No it is a pattern from a book I have, "Teach Yourself to Embroider". There several good little patterns in this book. You might be able to find it at a library.

It was a fun little flower to stitch. I have been wanting to try to stitch a flower motif.

FYI: I just got Leslie Riley's book "Fabulous Fabric Art with Lutradur(r): For Quilting, Papercrafts, Mixed Media Art 27 Techniques & 14 Projects Revolutionize Your Craft Experience!" I highly recommend it unless you've used Lutradur a LOT. I have had a piece of Lutradur for over a year and just didn't know exactly what to do with it etc. This book is great for "beginners".

Kathy Raker said...

Jody, your flower is really pretty. I use paper tissue sometimes for my motifs too. I just made a postcard using a stitch and prick pattern for stitching on paper. In order to get the pattern on fabric I traced the design on tissue paper and then removed it when finished. I wet it first and realized it was a little to wet. After it dried slightly it was easier to remove the remaining smaller pieces.

P.D. Crumbaker said...

Coming along beautifully!

pdc