Sunday, September 10, 2006

Crazy Quilting

My newest hobby: Crazy Quilting. I enjoy doing needlework, most of my stitching has been cross stitching. Five years ago I took a class "Counted Threads", combination counted cross stitching and counted needlepoint and lots of stitches and fibers that I had no idea existed.

Last year I picked up a copy of "ClothPaperScissors" magazine. There were so many great ideas and fun projects. They had a booth/area at the International Quilt Festival, Chicago, April 2006. I went to the festival and participated in their "Make It University". This sparked an interest in quilting. Knowing that I do not have the time for create a HUGE quilt I started small with our county fairs "Domestic Challange."

The challenge was to create a table runner incorporating the piece of fabric onto the table runner. This was my first attempt at quilting and embelished with crazy quilting stitches. I did not win a ribbon for my table runner but it was fun.

Knowing that I needed to expand my "Crazy Quilting" knowledge I purchased "The Crazy Quilting Handbook" revised 2nd ed. by Judith Baker Montano. Great book!!! Good explanation of the stitches, process of piecing a Crazy Quilt and tips for "Lefties" (that includes me!).

I am currently making the "Heart Shaped" purses one of the projects in "The Crazy Quilting Handbook". I will post a photo when I'm finished.

No comments: